How bizarre!

The strange and not-so-strange happenings in the life of me

Friday, January 02, 2009

Terms of endearment

For as long as i can remember, I have called my mother "mummy" or "mee" for short. Somehow, I had this warped idea that "mama" was archaic and that I was way too Western to be using such a chinese-y term. There was no doubt in my mind that my children would also call me "mummy" when the day came.

Nat started uttering the word "mama" from a very young age. It may have just been baby babble and not meant to address me but those two syllables were music to my ears. I found not only the word but the way she said it simply endearing and so started adopting it in my early conversations with her. I am now "Mama" to my little Nat and would not have it any other way.

My lovely mama with the one who calls me Mama

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger eileen said…

    aw.... she looks like you here, Mel.
    Hope all is well. Happy New Year!

    Chloe was calling me 'Mayee' for a while. and one day she took out CK's wallet and said 'Money'. CK was a little mad that she could say money and not mommy, so he made sure that weekend to drill into her to call me Mommy instead. So I am now Mommy to her, instead of 'Mayee' (which is apparently 'ant' in mandarin - LOL!) :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home