How bizarre!

The strange and not-so-strange happenings in the life of me

Monday, May 28, 2007

Vision restored

Underwent Lasik surgery last Friday. Hubby was wonderfully supportive. He even accompanied me into the OT. Said it was scarier than my C-section.

Not that I needed someone to lend me courage. I was surprisingly calm and the only time I panicked a little was when I lost my vision for a few seconds as the machine sucked up the cornea tissue before Dr Yeoh created the flap.

The rest of the evening I felt as if I was in a room with a thousand cut onions. Was tearing the whole night and good thing I was given a dose of Stilnox.

The next morning, I could already see quite clearly and the discomfort was more or less gone. I looked fine save for a few burst capillaries (Val says I look like Darth Maul but pointed out to her that it was his pupils that were red and not the surrounding area). Really hope this will clear up by the time we go to Chiang Mai or else I won't look very nice in the family photos. As it is, I'm now having to tell everyone it's NOT conjunctivitis!

Apart from wearing eye shields at night for the past five nights (oh, I hate them so!), I've also had to put 2 kinds of eye drops. One is an antibiotic while the other is an anti-inflammatory.

Bug-eye-boo

I'm glad I chose to have it done at Advance Vision. The whole experience was great. Staff were pleasant and not pushy and Dr Yeoh is a very experienced in this field, having trained under world-reknowned surgeons and worked for 10 years in Ireland. It was when, during my first check-up, he took the time to chat with me and answer all my questions that I was sold on doing it here. What's more, it's his own business so he calls the shots and is not a puppet acting on behalf of investors. Although I went for the microkeratome (i.e. mechanical blade) and not the intralase procedure, I was comforted by the fact that this model of machine has been in use for years with a very high success rate. After all, it's track record, not latest technology, that you want.

I've been wearing glasses for 17 years and contact lenses for 16 years so I forget how it feels not to be myopic. Now everytime I wake up (which is like 5 times a day - once in the morning and at least 4 times at night), I'm like "Darn, did I forget to remove my lenses again?".

I can see clearly now the rain is gone...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 3:46 AM, Blogger eileen said…

    Oh.. I have been so tempted to get lasik done too. To open my eyes from sleep and to see everything clearly. But I'm too chicken to get them done. :-) Scary, lah...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home