How bizarre!

The strange and not-so-strange happenings in the life of me

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Flower Power

A few weeks back I had the fortune of getting acquainted with Josephine who works a few doors away from my office and who introduced me to Phytobiophysics, the science of harnessing the vibration energy of plants to release energy blocks in the human body so that balance is re-established for all levels of consciousness; spiritual, mental, emotional and physical. It is believed that stress, disease and viruses also vibrate at different frequencies that bring disturbance to the healthy, balanced life flows within the body.

A load of mumbo-jumbo? I couldn't agree more at the time. But since Josephine insisted her husband's eczema visibly cleared up within a month of taking the herbal formulas, no harm trying, I thought. Not to worry folks, I'm not going barmy just yet.

Hubby and I brought Nat to see Dr Yeap when we were back in Ipoh over the weekend. Her method of diagnosis was unconventional to say the least. She would form a circuit with the patient and ask him/her to resist her downward pushing motion on his/her outstretched left arm. I ended up acting as the "lever" for Nat and Hubby (a few occasions) and by the end of it, my shoulder was positively aching.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that we were completely sold on the "science" but Dr Yeap handled our questions so well that Hubby and I did end up asking for a consultation as well. We alternated between being skeptical and hopeful of the benefits of the "flower vibrations". Conceptually, Phytobiophysics is as abstract as Reiki but the antidotes are akin to a combination of Homeopathy and Bach Flower Essences. As with most alternative medicines, you can't help but attribute its efficacy to a placebo effect. So as I was telling Hubby, if Nat's eczema really does clear up, we'll know it's for real. After all, you can hardly expect a toddler to be psychologically affected by a sugar pill that she doesn't even know has been dissolved into her drinking water.

In addition to taking the pills, I have to give up quite a lot of foods as apparently I currently don't have the right enzymes to digest them hence they create an energy block within which manifests in the eczema and lower lumbar pain that I have. So just as Eileen urged me to go on a restrictive diet for Nat's sake, I was told by Dr Yeap to give up wheat (or anything with gluten), eggs, soy (that means soy sauce too!), dairy products, beef, lamb and duck for the timebeing till my imbalances are corrected.

It's been three days and I still can't think of anything convenient to eat for breakfast. No eggs, bread, cakes, biscuits, noodles, cereal or milk.... How long will I survive?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Bliss said…

    you can try steamed pumpkin, steamed sweet potatoes, steamed potatoes, oat porridge (and dress it up with raisins, dried apricots,pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, banana) and bananas.

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger eileen said…

    Oh dear.. I understand how you feel. I'm lucky here because of so many people with allergies in the US, they have lots of allergen-free products like cookies, wheat- &-gluten free bread & cereal, etc. So I'm not feeling that deprived. Have you looked for rice milk? That's what I usually take for breakfast - rice milk with oat bran cereal.
    I just got the number of a chinese herbalist in SF, specializing in skin conditions, and will probably be making an appointment for Chloe soon.
    Right now I am trying to get her to drink the hypoallergenic formula, which she is refusing. (And making her constipated too!) But in the mean time, she is still on breastmilk.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger 3Fireflies said…

    Nasi lemak???

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger melliebaby said…

    Thanks a lot for the suggestions, girls!

    An Pheng, that sounds a lot like baby food... Interesting but not sure if I'll try it. Moreover, I like my breakfast fast and on-the-go.

    Eileen, will try looking for rice milk here but my guess is, it will not be cheap. As it is, a packet of gluten-free pasta costs around RM20!!

    Siau Yen, yes, I did think of nasi lemak, our undisputed favourite breakfast food of the nation (funnily enough, I didn't acquire a taste for it till a few years back). But again, I can't be asked to go buy breakfast every morning. What's more, imagine what that would do to my cholesterol levels!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger daddio said…

    Hi melliebaby, I know your posting was done some year ago but I am curious as to how the phytobiophysics 'experiment' went? My wife is currently seeing a doctor who recommended this remedy for my 2 boys. I am really skeptical about it's effectiveness but wife thinks it is good.

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger melliebaby said…

    Hi daddio,
    Thanks for your question.
    I have seen the benefits from Phytobiophysics even after the 1st visit to Dr Yeap. We brought Nat for a few more follow-up sessions, mostly when her skin flared-up again, and each time her condition improved significantly.

    Her eczema is under control now and we slowly added the foods back into her diet.

    Amazingly, in the 2-3 months after that visit, I totally recovered from hives that had been plaguing me for years before that. I did not discuss this problem during the consultation as I had come to accept it as part of my life and moreover, we were there more for Nat than ourselves. However, I was very diligent in taking my pills and abstaining from the same group of foods as Nat due to the fact that I was still breastfeeding her.

    I will continue to refer friends to Dr Yeap but as it's not drugs she's prescribing, don't expect miracles. I do feel she is genuine in wanting to help people. Also, you have to be diligent in taking the pills and in your abstinence to see results.

    What is the problem with your 2 boys, if you don't mind my asking?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home