How bizarre!

The strange and not-so-strange happenings in the life of me

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What's for breakfast?

Malaysia is not a place for people with gluten, diary, soy, nut and egg allergies. And it's most definitely not a place for foodlovers with the same allergies. See picture for what I've been having for breakfast the past few weeks.

Okay, I had Marmite with my buckwheat and rice crackers just that once (and once was quite enough, believe me!) but those crackers are basically a bread replacement so I eat them with tuna, bacon, set honey or jam. It took a while to acquire the taste for them but they're quite nice when toasted actually.

For lunch and dinner, I am stuck with either rice, porridge, soupy meehoon or kway teow (variants of rice noodles) and amazingly, I'm ALWAYS hungry. And I mean ravenous! For someone who's been on a low-carbo diet for the past 4 years, I'm eating enough carbo per meal to feed a platoon of soldiers! Annoyingly, most Asian dishes are cooked with soy sauce so I've no choice but to avoid them too. At home though we've been substituting it with fish sauce in all our stirfries.

The good (unbelievable though it is) part about being on this diet is, buttoned-down shirts and tight blouses aside, I can now fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes including my jeans! Of course they're still more than a little snug but that's not the point. And all this while I believed that eating less carbo was the be-all and end-all of weight loss!

I could probably start a new phenomenon now. Wanna lose weight? Eat rice! Lots of it! Move over Atkins and South Beach!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 1:41 AM, Blogger eileen said…

    hehe..I can relate to the weight lost. But now that I have stopped breastfeeding, hubs have warned me that I need to watch what and how much I eat.
    Man.. I just ate a whole quiche one manager brought in for breakfast. How many calories are those??!!!

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Ren said…

    Mel, I know this is totally irrelevant to your latest post, but I thought of you and my other mummy blogger friends when I read this... http://flickr.com/photos/sarahsmile1/1436257706/

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger Bliss said…

    If you try my steamed pumpkin and oats you will lose even more weight. hehehe I know they are disgusting baby food but they are good food.

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger 3Fireflies said…

    You should talk to my husband about his latest diet plan. He calls it the "Shifting Calories" plan. He's not kidding about this time! (...I think...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home