How bizarre!

The strange and not-so-strange happenings in the life of me

Friday, November 02, 2007

Sneaky things...

Babies are a clever lot, smarter than most adults give them credit for, and very powerful indeed.

They are capable of reducing their grown-up mothers to tears the moment we set eyes on them. They also have the uncanny ability to really grow on you the longer you get acquainted with them. Mine is no different.

Before this, I never would have thought I would allow my child to sneak into our conjugal bed on a nightly basis. Unlike many breastfeeding mums, I wasn't fond of nursing lying down. I couldn't seem to get comfortable hence I would feed Nat sitting up and then promptly put her back into her cot. Hubby also wasn't into the idea of co-sleeping as he often tosses around heavily and was worried he would land on Nat and reduce her to a pile of mush without realising.

Since her bout of illness however, Nat seems to have wormed her way into our bed and I didn't even see it coming. This has now become a habit with her starting to wail at around 2-3am followed by me, way too tired to carry or pat her back to sleep, picking her up and plopping her in the middle of our bed. She will then scream for about 5 seconds before finding her right thumb to suck and stroke my face with her left hand till she falls contentedly back to sleep between her 2 biggest fans. Only after her night-time feed will I put her back into her crib.

Now that she's bigger, I actually enjoy having her next to me where I can just turn and give her kisses and cuddles as I like. So you see... not only can they get you to do things without you realising it, they can even make you like doing it! Clever or not???

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Bliss said…

    Dennis is just the same...I don't remember when he started sleeping on our bed but he has been and still is. He will just climb up to our bed when he wakes up in the middle of the night (he is no longer sleeping in the cot. Keat and I hate the disturbed sleep he causes us but we love waking up to seeing his beautiful face and smelling him every morning. Yes, we are suckers!

     
  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger eileen said…

    Haha! That's how Kat got into our bed too. She's almost 4 and she is still here :-)

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger 3Fireflies said…

    I think Sophie tried to use the same tactics, but she failed since her kung-fu kicks and slaps are so powerful that we end up with bruises and my hair pulled out in tuffs... So off she goes, back to her own bed :)

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger melliebaby said…

    Yes An Pheng, we are all suckers indeed.

    Eileen, since you're the more experienced mum, what's gonna happen when Chloe wants in too?

    SY, great that you guys managed not to succumb. I'm sure you get a lot more rest that way. Nat's a terrible sleeper too... but we didn't get too many bruises since I put her in a sleepsack every night so that restricts her movements a little.

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger eileen said…

    So far Chloe is in a different bed. And that is only because I sleep with her, whilst Daddy and Kat sleep in the master bedroom!

    We are hoping that in due time, maybe the 2 girls will want to keep each other company and sleep together :-)

    SY, CK and I have been jabbed and poked, headbutted, kicked,etc.. it's getting worse now that she's getting taller!!

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Snoopyjazz said…

    Ya lar....that's how it all starts! ha haa.. Evan also the same... Now our new house's master bedroom needs to be extended to fit in a king and queen sized bed joined together so that everyone can sleep and roll and roll without squashing each other. Well, one day they will turn into a teenager and would not want to be near their parents anymore...so for now, it's o.k. la to be mommy and daddy's little munchkin!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home