How bizarre!

The strange and not-so-strange happenings in the life of me

Friday, June 29, 2007

Why I would breastfeed all over again

Consider these....

Pluses
  1. Bonding - yes, every mum will form the tightest of bonds with her children but the joy in my heart when Nat looks up at me with her innocent eyes and reaches out her hand to receive kisses from me, caress my face or stroke my hair is simply beyond words.
  2. Nutrition. Breastmilk boosts immunity. Period. I know the moment I post this entry, I might kick myself for speaking so soon but Nat has never fallen ill in 7 months although I had a cold while I was on maternity leave and still continued to breastfeed.
  3. Reduces risk of allergies especially if mum herself suffers from them. Yes, Nat does have eczema but it could have been much worse.
  4. Ensures adequate fluid intake.
  5. Convenient, non-messy way of feeding - no need to worry about not having enough hot water / formula if out for longer than expected, less things to pack when going out or travelling.
  6. Does not cramp our lifestyle - read about when we took Nat to the cinema.
  7. No smelly poo until baby starts on solids.
  8. Best way to comfort baby in distress like when I accidentally clipped off a piece of her thumb when cutting her nails. Oops!
  9. Best way to keep baby still, for instance when trimming their hair or nails and applying cream on their faces. Nat just hates anyone touching her face!
  10. The fact that only the mother, and no one else, can actually breastfeed her baby gives her bragging rights and exclusivity. For instance, I have a ready excuse to take Nat away from whomever's carrying her if I ever need one.
  11. Entertainment factor. One only need watch a mother nursing a 4-month old to know what I mean. They start being inquisitive and are no longer just sleeping, eating and pooping machines. The funny antics displayed by Nat during nursing sessions has had me & mum in hysterics.
  12. Good for mummy's health - studies have shown reduced risk of breast cancer & osteoporosis.
  13. Helps mummy lose weight - through having a good diet and the passive calorie-burning (okay, it's been a while since the needle on the scales shifted down but hey, the only things I'm abstaining from are alcohol and caffeine).
  14. A multi-pronged way to save money - on formula (we all know how much they cost), sanitary pads (not having periods is a woman's dream come true!) and doctor's bills for baby.
  15. Forging friendships with like-minded mothers. See: breastfeeding support group.

Minuses
  1. Pain. The initial agony of the first few weeks.
  2. How much? All that worrying about whether the baby is eating enough and not having enough milk supply.
  3. Staring. Have to think about feeding in public (I've become more thick-skinned as a result).
  4. Sleep deficit. Waking up a few times a night to express.
  5. Unless one has ample stock in the fridge or does not mind lugging around a cranky, sleepy baby, breastfeeding curtails night-time outings. But this saves us money too and allows me to be more picky about the invitations we accept.
  6. Teetotal. Having to be careful with my diet in terms of medication and alcohol.
  7. Vaginal dryness. 'Nuff said!
  8. Runny poo for the first 6 months (the baby's, that is!)
  9. Withdrawal symptoms. Just reading Pearl's account about weaning Ian immediately reduced me to tears in anticipation of the end of my wonderful nursing relationship with Nat.
Check out her "lotus root" limbs

I can go on and on but the bottomline is, I have finally found my passion. I'm nuts about my Nat!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home